Wednesday, December 5, 2012

One True Thing from Matthew Reynolds: Proving and Disproving

When I think of my brother Matthew, it's sometimes hard not to think of him as a two-year old boy, laying in his bed while my teenage self told stories to him and my other younger brother, Bryan. Laying in their beds, they'd go along with any crazy, silly, ridiculous stuff I shared, and each night as they drifted to sleep, I watched them wondering what kind of people they'd grow up to be.

So it's still a little difficult to think of Matthew as a young man earning a doctorate in physical therapy from Quinnipiac University. However, everytime I see him and realize that his pecs and biceps are about four times the size of mine, I realize that he has, indeed, grown up. Matthew has a deeply inspiring sense of humor, and he makes all those around him feel at home both with themselves and with him. He embodies that beautiful golden rule and treats other people with the kind of dignity, respect, and compassion with which he wants to be treated. Matthew works with passion and commitment and is a firm believer in the power of getting up again, and again, and again.

And he still likes silly stories.

Here is Matthew Harry Wilson Reynolds the Fourth, sharing his One True Thing.

Proving and Disproving
By Matthew Reynolds

Matt at the end of No-Shave-November

For me, it’s difficult to believe in one true thing. When my brother Luke asked me to write a brief synopsis of my opinion, I thought more about the simple question. The simple question turned into many more questions, which turned into more questions, and on and on. 

What’s my point you ask? Let’s take a look at some true things. The world used to be flat hundreds of years ago. The earth was also the center of the universe and everything revolved around this magnificent planet. 

Truths are replaced by disproven theories. 

It is true, although, that old truths are replaced by new truths. That, my friend, is the beauty of learning. The only truth is that we will disprove, discover, and learn new truths. That is the only real truth in life. 

From the second we are born, our brains are taking the huge needle of life and injecting knowledge, ideas, passions, loves, despairs, lies, and truths. Throughout life, we are constantly changing. We are proving and disproving our own beliefs. Therefore, a truth is no more than what we believe. That is the BEAUTY of it.

Ayn Rand once said, “Every man is free to rise as far as he is able or willing, but it is only the degree to which he thinks that determines the degree to which he’ll rise.” This quote speaks truths to my ears. The reason we can thrive, prosper, and grow is because each person has their One True Thing.